RefuSHE protects, nurtures, educates, and empowers young refugee women and girls in East Africa through a unique holistic model that provides shelter, education, case management, counseling, child care, legal advocacy, and vocational training. RefuSHE’s holistic program meets the imminent needs of unaccompanied, separated and orphaned refugee girls, young women, and their children.
Founded in 2008, RefuSHE is a U.S. nonprofit with headquarters in Chicago and operations in Nairobi, Kenya. It is the first and only organization dedicated to refugee girls in East Africa. Over the past ten years, RefuSHE has grown to become a leading institution and global thought-leader in the field of refugee protection. Today, RefuSHE is poised for strategic growth and scale. We are looking for someone who has a passion for social change, aspires to use their talent for good, and thrives in fast-pace growth environments.
The Finance Manager will work under the leadership of the Country Director. S/he is responsible for financial analysis, planning, and oversight to support effective financial management and implementation of RefuSHE, Kenya Country operational budget and aligned strategies and policies. He or she will oversee all aspects of financial management, including financial controls and systems implementation, budgeting, expenditure tracking, and financial reporting and accounting. The individual will be responsible for the management of funds in such a manner as to maximize operational effectiveness and efficiency while minimizing risk, and ensures that adequate control structures, policies, procedures, and systems are in place over the organization funds. He or she will conduct financial analysis in areas such as forecasting, budgeting, engaging in cost reduction analysis, and reviewing operational performance. The Finance Manager will oversee and work as the internal auditor for RefuSHE, while providing guidance to staff, and will provide leadership in financial reporting, annual budget planning, external audit preparations and assessment processes. S/he reports directly to the Country Director and is a member of RefuSHE Core Senior Management Team.
1. Form close working relationship with the Country Director, other senior staff, and Kenya Board of Directors.
2. Play a role of financial advisor to the Country Director and senior managers as well as the Board of Directors on sound financial management and accounting strategies to optimize RefuSHE financial performance and strategic position.
3. Overall control and responsibility for all financial aspects of the RefuSHE financial strategy at the same time is expected to be analyzing figures and implementing recommendations based on the findings for the best outcomes.
4. Manage and lead a team of Finance Officers and Senior Accountant to smoothly and timely undertaking of month-end and year-end procedures, annual budgeting, and reporting. Maintain excellent communication and synergy between finance function and staff at all levels within the other functions and help them to plan, set targets, and to create and manage their own budgets.
5. Maintain all financial systems, identifying areas that require improvements, and implementing necessary changes to support smooth programs implementation.
6. Responsible for RefuSHE financial accounting management at the Kenya Country operation.
7. Participate fully in the development of RefuSHE strategies across all functions of the organization business, challenging assumptions and decision-making as appropriate and business drivers.
8. To ensure robust financial systems that are compliant and support current activities and future financial growth of RefuSHE.
9. Provide leadership to the finance team through couching and mentorship by cultivating high sense of integrity, responsibility, diligence, honesty, and team work and observing the same at a personal level.
10. Work closely with RefuSHE Head Office Director of Finance and Operations and Grants Manager to register all existing grants and new ones, and also monitor burn rates within Kenya operation and other requirements as stipulated in the various Letters of Agreement. Must always keep the Country Director well updated on the same.
11. Work closely with RefuSHE Head Office Director of Finance and Operations and Grants Manager to ensure quality and timely submission of all donor finance reports.
12. Works closely with the Country Director and Director of Programs in ensuring timely annual program planning and budgeting processes, review, and approvals by the Kenya Board of Directors.
13. Presents monthly and annual accounts to the Country Director for review and approval, and submits the same to RefuSHE Head Office and the Kenya Board of Directors on a quarterly basis/as is required.
14. Responsible for the RefuSHE ultimate cash management systems and policies and monitors individual program investment rates (budget burn rates) in conjunction with the Director of Programs, ultimately advising and supporting programs/project managers to effectively and efficiently provide timely services to RefuSHE Persons of Concern.
15. In conjunction with the Country Director, develop RefuSHE Finance Manual and aligned best practices and operationalize the same.
16. Ensures that the regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met.
17. Establish high level of credibility and manage strong working relationship with internal and external customers and partners.
18. Supervise preparations of month end accounts and statutory returns.
19. Ensure the completion of bank and balance sheet reconciliation.
20. Manages the external audit process by liaising with the auditors to ensure all documents and other requirements for smooth audit processes are in place.
21. Ensures both external and project audit recommendations are implemented in a timely manner and fully.
22. Oversee end of month and year financial reports and aligned statutory accounts.
23.Preparation of RefuSHE monthly and quarterly cash forecast in consultation with Director of Programs and program managers with subsequent approval by the Country Director before submission to the Head Office.
Must have a minimum of post-graduate degree in Business Administration, Bachelor degree in accounting or finance, and CPA- K qualifications
Duly registered and active member of an accountancy body or holder of an equivalent qualification.
Must have at least 5 years’ experience in financial management for large and complex projects in medium and large institutions (preferably in private institutions or INGOs) with strong experience in fund management and ability to monitor fraud and abuse of financial resources.
Highly committed to organizational vision, mission and values
Demonstrates astute, is articulate and technically strong, dynamic, insightful, and influential leader with ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels.
Ability and flexibility to handle high levels of pressure to meet very strict deadlines and critical decision making.
High integrity, unquestionable character and openness coupled with commitment to good governance.
Energetic, highly motivated, with inquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success.
Excellent communicator with both internal and external colleagues at all levels.
Self- driven, efficient and motivated by results.
Ability to analyze and make recommendations alongside the capacity to drive through key business changes.
Strong business acumen and sharp understanding of financial matters.
Must have requisite computer based finance management software skills and experience including Quick Books.
Proficiency in oral and written communication in English and Kiswahili language.
Up to date Certificate of Good Conduct
Only Kenya citizens are eligible to apply
Based in Nairobi, Kenya or willing to relocate
Your application should be send to hr2019(at)refuSHE.org indicating the position title in the email subject by close of business February 8, 2019. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format and given your surname) with your contact details, details of current and expected remuneration, names and contacts of three referees, one of which should be your current supervisor.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
RefuSHE is an equal opportunity employer.